City Of Cuthbert

Upcoming Events

History

City Of Cuthbert

When Cuthbert was laid out in 1831 and established as the county seat of Randolph County, it was one half mile square. Named for Colonel John Alfred Cuthbert, in the early years all the buildings were log houses. The first frame house was built between 1837 to 1838. Court was originally held in a log fort at Gormley’s Springs but soon moved to a two story frame building built in the center of the town. A second courthouse of brick and plaster was built in 1841 with the historic Randolph County Courthouse being built in 1885. Two federal highways, US 82 and 27, intersect in Cuthbert. Still the Randolph County seat of government in 2008, Cuthbert has many homes and businesses of architectural and historical interest.